When, I had my first mammogram at forty, I decided to reward myself with a Godiva raspberry truffle and a little shopping. The next year I added coffee and invited friends. In 2006, we celebrated my mother in laws victory over breast cancer. Then, when a dear friend had a scare, we decided to celebrate her clean-bill-of-health with Godiva and Starbucks. We had several mini celebrations with friends and thought how fun it would be if we all did it together, so we decided to form a Breast Friends club.
What is Breast Friends? It’s a group of women celebrating friendship, femininity and good health by encouraging one another to get mammograms and perform breast self-examinations.
- Pick a day that works for your group.
- Invite your friends to schedule a screening on the same day around the same time.
- Meet for breakfast or lunch beforehand
- After the mammograms celebrate with coffee
- Follow up with monthly emails to remind each other to do self-examinations.
Start today – form a Breast Friends group with friends from your city.
Celebration is the key. Take chocolate along with you to pass out in the waiting room. Just have fun. The point of BF is to take the fear out of getting a mammogram and to celebrate friendship, health and femininity. This year, we’ll be screening on March 29th. Join us won’t you?