After many years of marriage, we tend to approach things similarly. Yet on our recent trip to Seattle, the first thing my husband wanted was a nap.
“A nap?” My mouth fell open. Ok, he is sick. But, I want to explore!
Eyeing the spa brochure on the nightstand I said, “How about you take a nap and I’ll get a manicure.” Bingo! I usually don’t splurge on a manicure. Now we are both happy.
7 Tips for a Great Vacation with Your Spouse
- Communicate – decide what you want to see or experience
- Plan your schedule ahead of time – so you don’t miss things or are not rushed and don’t forget to plan relaxation time!
- Plan for an unexpected stop or detour – like an unexpected trip to the pharmacy
- Try new things – go to local spots and avoid chains restaurants. We stayed right next to a mall but didn’t shop because we can do that at home.
- Give and Take – pretend you are dating all over again. Compromise.
- Talk about new dreams and plans – leave the mundane stuff for later.
- Turn off your email, Tweets, and Facebook notifications – just relax! It’ll all be there when you get home. Instead, make some great memories.
Our trip to Seattle was incredible. I was able to check two items off my bucket list. But most importantly, we had a chance to reconnect.
We’re already thinking about the next trip. I wonder where we’ll go next.