What is Sexting?
Sexting is the act of sending lewd and pornographic photos via cell phone or posting online. While most commonly practiced by teens, 10-year-olds have been caught up in it due to the influence of older siblings. Most teens and tweens have given no thought to what happens the moment they hit SEND. Images have appeared on child pornography sites and have gone viral (every kids in school has a copy).
“I sent you mine, so you have to send me yours.”
Peer pressure is a big factor in sexting.
What Can I Do About It?
• Educate your children about the dangers of sexting
• Consider purchasing a phone without photo capabilities
• Talk to them about the spiritual ramifications of sexting
• Purchase an accountability device for their cell phone
• Educate yourself about upcoming technology
• Maintain an open line of communication on the topic
• Urge congress to update child protection laws